Sunday, August 28, 2005

A car,a house and Uncle Pepe

You all have had great stories about Uncle Pepe........Well, here is mine. I was about 16 years old. I wanted to drive the family car. It was a 47 Olds. This day, I went with my Mom to the store. On the way back I convinced my mother to let me drive home. I got behind the wheel and started up the street, it was great, no problems........ I made a little turn and was getting ready to turn into our drive way. It so happened that on our drive way were to older woman, I saw them and so did my mom. The next thing that happen was a blur..........Mom tried to get the wheel to turn it.........I think I was trying to turn the wheel,....I was trying to get to the brake and my Mom was trying to get to the brake with her foot........... Welllllllllllll when it was all over, we both put our foot on the gas petal....... The car went into compound low, the car went full force into our house.....the wheels dug into the lawn about 6 inches. From the outside it did not look too bad. We went inside and that was another story.......I had the entire wall cracked, moved my mother dresserl across the room and actually moved the mud sill off the foundation, Needless to say I thought that my life was over........ My Dad was coming home for lunch.....He came home , I told him that I hit the house. He said I have to have lunch first. My heart was going 100 miles an hour. After lunch he took a look at the room.......Still did not say a word.....Then said to me. "come with me and get into the car" All I could think of was, what is he going to do to me. With out getting mad, he said, next time this is what I should have done and talked to me about being safe in the car. He said, always know where you are and how to protect yourself and the people around you. That was my Dad , what a great guy. What a great teacher.

Dad called Uncle Pepe and you guessed it......He came over, moved the mud sill back to where it wa suppose to be, plastered the wall and the house was back in good shape. Pepe was always there if you needed him. We have a great family ...........

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Good stories......keep'um coming.

5:48 PM  
Blogger Margaret Castro Dambley said...

Was that the house on Valita Drive?
If so, then I know that it was the corner of the master bedroom that you hit. We bought that house from your parents, circa 1953.

5:25 PM  
Blogger John V. Castro said...

Marge: That was the house on Valita Dr. Dad paid $10,600. Then I think you paid about $17,000. Now it must be worth $300.000. Funny money

5:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home